With an increase in I-5 traffic due to the nearby airport and construction on the Empire Center, road improvements are necessary. Overall, the improvements are expected to relieve congestion, improve traffic flow, and improve the access to Bob Hope Airport and shopping centers.
The project will make the following improvements:
- The construction of an HOV lane between Magnolia Blvd. and Buena Vista St.
- The construction of an interchange at I-5 and Empire Ave.
- The elevation of the railroad at Buena Vista St. and San Fernando Blvd. to eliminate the street-level crossing.
- The realignment and elevation of of the railroad adjacent to Empire Ave.
- The reconstruction of the Burbank Blvd. overcrossing to widen the structure and realign the on- and off- ramps.
- The improvement of the San Fernando Blvd./Victory place and Lincoln St. intersection.
The $355 million dollar project is expected to be completed in 2017. For continued updates, go to the California Department of Transportation District 7 website.